FIBER ART MASTER CLASS
Telling Our Stories Master Class
– Wendy Kendrick, Teacher
Time: 10 am to 4 pm
Place: Southwest Arts Center
Renowned fiber artist Wendy Kendrick will headline the 2023 Atlanta Quilt Festival with her fiber art class Telling Our Stories.
We all have a story to tell. Most importantly what would you say on the first page of your story? Have you collected family stories that could be shared in a quilt? What year were you born and what world/national/state/community news was taking place? How can shapes, colors and a child like approach enhance your storytelling?
Class participants will learn how the fiber art of Aminah Brenda Lynn Robinson was used to record history and her travels. Also, learn how Romare Bearden’s collage creations influenced the artist’s work through the years. Students will follow the evolution of the artist’s career by first creating a paper collage. Later, we’ll explore how simple shapes, colors, numbers and even alphabets can be creatively incorporated as we begin working on our fabric story pages.
- Construction paper(assorted colors)
- Poster board *
- Glue stick
- Scissors (both paper and fabric)
- Color wheel
- Light box *
- Fabric - a)variety of fat quarters in both solids and prints. Print fabrics should include patterns that are small, medium and large in each color grouping. b) 1/2 yd. solid black c) (2) 24"x24" pieces of muslin
- Fabric markers for writing text
- Embellishments - buttons, beads, plastic straws, embroidery thread, etc.
- Parchment paper *
Continental breakfast and lunch included in the class fee.
Visit https://www.artbywepa.net to learn more about Wendy.